Sunday, October 23, 2005

Artisan Breads by Thuet at All The Best Fine Foods

Yesterday, I dropped into the bakery section of All The Best Fine Foods, one of the set of gourmet shops on Yonge St. south of Summerhill which is affectionately known as the "Five Thieves". On display in the window front is a large sign indicating that special breads were now being supplied by Marc Thuet (former chef at Centro Grill and Wine Bar and The Fifth, and now proud owner of his own self named Thuet Restaurant).

They had some of his breads available for sampling and they were moist and tasty. But the item that left me wanting for more was an Alsacian "Stollen" loaf. A stollen is a light and airy bread-like fruitcake, usually eaten during Christmas Season. This one contained marzipan and very lightly candied fruit, almonds and spices and was sprinkled with icing sugar. It was not too sweet and was absolutely delicious! I had my wallet out ready to buy some when I learned that it was currently only being offered as a promotional teaser, but would be available for sale shortly. Then Marc Thuet himself arrived at the shop to inspect the display, so I got to tell him how much I liked his version of the stollen. Can't wait until I can buy some!

No comments: