Saturday, October 22, 2005

Pumpkin Pie in a Mug at Starbucks

Let me warn coffee lovers up front - I am not now nor have I ever been a regular coffee drinker. It's not that I dislike it, I just never acquired the habit of needing my daily fix. This puts me in a distinct minority, as most of the people I know drink it by the potfulls and are loyal to their favourite cafe (Starbucks, Second Cup, Tim Horton's etc.). This means that I am not a coffee purist, so judge my opinion accordingly.

I recently wandered into a Starbucks for my monthly cup of joe, and noticed that they had something called the Pumpkin Latte on the menu. I have loved pumpkin pie since I was a kid, and as an adult I have also grown fond of pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin soup, and other inventions starring my favourite orange vegetable. Choosing the Pumpkin Latte was therefore a foregone conclusion.

What I got could only be described as pumpkin pie in a mug. All the flavours were there; pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, and of course coffee. This qualified as "comfort food" as it instantly took me back to memories of Thanksgiving dinners with the family. I ordered my latte with whipped cream on top, just as I do with the real thing.

No comments: